RECNH in the News
Meaningful Use FAQs
What is the status of Meaningful Use in 2015?
CMS published a final rule that specifies criteria that eligible professionals (EPs), eligible hospitals (EHs), and critical access hospitals (CAHs) must meet in order to participate in the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs. The final rule’s provisions encompass 2015 through 2017 (Modified Stage 2) as well as Stage 3 in 2018 and beyond.
- Restructured Stage 1 and Stage 2 objectives and measures to align with Stage 3
- 10 objectives for EPs, including one consolidated public health reporting objective with measure options (EP scheduled to be in Stage 2 in 2015 must successfully attest to any combination of 2 public health measures)
- 9 objectives for eligible hospitals and CAHs, including one consolidated public health reporting objective with measure options (EH and CAH must successfully attest to any combination of 3 public health measures)
- Starting in 2015, the EHR reporting period aligns with the calendar year for all providers
- EHR reporting period in 2015 is 90 days to accommodate modifications to meaningful use
- Stage 2 patient engagement objectives that require “patient action” are modified
- Streamlined the program by removing redundant, duplicative, and topped out measures
- CQM reporting for both (EPs) and eligible hospitals/CAHs remains as previously finalized